Wednesday, April 23, 2014

It's Email Time!!!!!

We usually get emails from Jayme on Tuesday nights about 8 p.m.  Imagine our utter sadness when a windstorm knocked our power out!  No power means no emails!!!  We were crushed; however, we got them about 2 in the morning and were so happy!


KAMUSTA KA!!!

Clarin is 100% green! Right now it is banana season, so bananas are growing on the trees everywhere. And pinapples! It's my first time to see bananas and pinapples actually growing on a plant. It's the coolest thing. Tons of bananas and tons of pinapples :D 

Currently it's the dry season, so it doesn't rain a whole lot. Mostly it's just SUPER hot! The rainy season will start up in June and, according to the people here, it will be raining just about every day. But when it rains here, it doesn't just rain. It pours! It rained last week and it was so strong it reminded me of the Fourth of July when the firetrucks spray their hoses. Even though Sister Salima and I both were using our umbrellas, we were soaked from the mid-thigh down. We finally stopped to hide under the roof of a tindahan. Then we went to teach our less-actives who live next door to the elders and were surprised to see the elders home (like 3pm). They had been hiking up in the bukid and didn't have umbrellas during the downpour and had been caked in mud and were sopping wet. So they had come home to shower right at that time. Haha. 

WHEN WILL YOU GET TO MOVE INTO YOUR NEW APARTMENT?  
We have no idea when we'll move in, but it will probably be after transfers. So one of us might never get to stay in the new apartment! The owners of the apartment need a down payment to make repairs to it from damage from the earthquake. So then they'll clean it up and then we can move in. 

WHAT WILL YOU DO FOR P-DAY?  
We already went shopping. We're gonna go home and clean and then watch General Conference in Visaya. We got a copy for one of our investigators. We'll give it to her later this week when we visit her. 

WHAT DID YOU LEARN THIS WEEK?
This week...I learn so much every week. It's hard to pinpoint something specific. I guess I've been learning a lot about Jesus as I've been reading Jesus the Christ thoroughly with the New Testament. I'm coming to know who He is and what He did. And the more I learn about Him, the more I love Him. He's my Savior, Redeemer, my Lord and my Brother. 

TELL US ABOUT CHURCH.
The church is always packed! The work here is just booming. There are 6 missionaries in my branch. Sister Salima and I, Sister Wolfe and Sister Rineieta (from Kiribas) and Elder Fox and Elder McQuiston. Our Branch President jokes about how we're probably the only branch in the world with and Elder Fox and a Sister Wolfe haha :D The investigators class is so, SO packed every week. I love it! We have manuals and stuff and we use them :D it's awesome :D

DESCRIBE YOUR AREA
This area is very poor. Most people have no transportation of their own. If they do have transportation, it's usually just a motor. They're very, very poor. Also it was very damaged by the earthquake. Especially Clarin. Every day we go by two HUGE churches...with only one wall still standing or just random parts still standing. The rest just crumbled to the ground. Lots of people still live in tents and the majority of houses is at least partially tarp. The damage in Clarin is really bad, but not as bad as Loon. If they have homes, it's like woven walls and roofs from like coconut tree leaves. Cement houses are rare. Most people either drive (like tricycle drivers) for work or have a tindahan. But not a lot of people work...Most of the schools right now are destroyed from the earthquake. But they were like the schools in Consolacion. Just cement buildings with "windows" which are just the hole and a grate to allow air in for the kids. 

WHAT WAS YOUR SERVICE PROJECT THIS WEEK?
No service project this week! The elders all went down to Loon to help dig trenches for the woman that Elder Teh talked about (who lost her grandson and daughter in the earthquake) but the sisters didn't get to go. Elders only! :( so I was sad! Especially since I was the first to volunteer!!!

TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT TRAVELING TO/FROM YOUR AREA
Haha traveling is...well traveling isn't too bad. I hate losing work time though for travel. I hate waiting for the buses when we could be teaching and I hate having to come home early. But usually on the bus rides home, the conductors just stand or sit next to Sister Salima and I and hit on us the whole time. So I'm never tired. Just always trying my best to represent my Savior...like "What would Jesus do in this situation?" Although I don't think He had to worry about the bus conductors hitting on Him...still, He gets it!

LOVE YOU ALL!

SISTER WARNER

No comments:

Post a Comment